Have you ever had greens like this?
Roll up the trimmed greens and slice thusly…
Add those ribbons of nature’s goodness to a pan of vegetables, beans and a can of tomatoes, then wilt ever so slightly.
Top with browned italian sausages and bake for a while. Cover the roasting pan to force everyone to meld.
Serve over freshly made rice and enjoy with your loved ones.
Collard Green Oven Stew
- 1 lb sausage (mild Italian, chicken, or merguez)
- 3 heads of collard greens, stems removed
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 large yellow onion, diced
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 1 (15oz) can white beans, drained well
- 1 (15oz) can diced tomatoes (with garlic, green chilies, or onion add a bit more flavour)
- 1 tsp Greek Seasoning (or oregano and thyme)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp freshly cracked black pepper
Pre-heat the oven to 375ºF.
In a Dutch oven or roasting pan with a lid, brown the sausage on both sides. Remove from the pan and drain off any excess fat, the amount of rendered fat will depend on the type of sausage used.
Add a little olive oil and the onions, sauté.
Add the red pepper, carrot, greek seasoning, salt, pepper and the strips of collard greens. Toss it around. Add the beans and tomatoes, plus a couple tablespoons of water.
Top with the sausage and cover. Bake for 1 hour.