Pes fish Pescado a caught fish
This was one of the first strange things I learned in Spanish from my Hubby. Apparently you cannot make “pes” soup because that would require you to make it in the river or other body of water that fish is swimming in. A “pes” is as free as Willy.
So, to make the soup you have to catch that fish first.
Caldo de Pescado
- 1/2 lb firm white fish fillets (tilapia, bass, catfish) per person
- 2-3 cups stock (any flavor)
- 15 oz can diced tomatoes (or use 3 – 4 fresh tomatoes)
- bay leaf
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels
- 1 cup frozen vegetable mix (lima beans, carrot, peas)
- (optional) hot peppers, sliced
- 1 small white onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup rice
- lime wedges for serving
Sauté the onion and garlic in a soup pot. Add stock and water, bay leaf, tomatoes, vegetables, peppers and rice. Bring to a rapid boil. Reduce to medium for 10 minutes. Adjust seasoning. Add the fish fillets and cook until done, about 5 minutes. Serve with lime wedges.