My neighbour was over for a visit while I was baking this Key Lime Cake I saw on Food Network recently. The adults liked it better than any of our kids! Making cream cheese frosting is quick and easy (plus it’s all natural and tastes so much better than the canned stuff).
No recipe is perfect, I find this especially true with recipes on Food Network. Look at the comments before you try something. This cake had too much oil, or the recipe writer/baker was heavy on the flour. Everyone said to use less oil, I followed their lead and the cake wasn’t too oily or too dry. Get the original recipe from the link then use my suggestions>
Key Lime Cake Recipe
- Use only 1 cup of vegetable oil
- Add lime zest from about 6 key limes to the batter
- Replace the orange juice with 1/4 cup lime juice + 1/2 cup So Good light coconut milk
- Reduce the glaze in half (1/4 cup lime juice + 1/4 cup confectioners sugar)
- Cut the baked cake in half and stack them together with about a cup of frosting between the layers. Continue frosting as usual.
The frosting was made with Ideal sugar-free confectioner’s sugar (16 oz.), 8 oz cream cheese, 1/2 cup butter, vanilla and lime juice (just enough to make a smooth frosting).