Here’s what you will need:
- a 2 quart baking dish
- 2 small leeks (or one large), cleaned, trimmed, and sliced thin
- about 3 cups croutons (toasted cubes of bread on hand)
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Tbsp butter (omit if vegetarian)
- 1 roasted red bell pepper, diced
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries (you can mix in raisins too)
- 1/4 tsp dried sage
- dash or two of marjoram
- dash garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
Start with the oil and butter over medium-low heat and add the leeks. Slowly sauté the leeks until they caramelize. Add the salt and herbs, along with the red pepper.
Place the croutons, leeks and cranberries in the 2 quart dish, distribute evenly. Add about 2/3 cup water to the sauté pan to release the brown bits and pour this over the bread mixture in the dish. Bake at 350º for 25 minutes until the bread absorbs the liquid and the dressing is heated through.